Saturday, January 10, 2009

Neo Freerunner & Android

I have got my self a Neo Freerunner an opensource mobile platform for a couple of months now. Tried various software options available for freerunner. None of them are stable for a daily phone use. Once initial Android port was made available on FR i have been trying it. I was already into hacking Android for various reasons, so it gave me good reason to try things on FR. One thing I can say is that Android felt better on FR than any other Linux based solution. Major reason I could see the X server, which is a big bottleneck. Qt extended is slightly better still not make good usable phone on FR to me.

Recently I was able bring up the cupcake branch of Android on FR. Lot things needed to patch and audio interface changes were made for which there was no proper porting done (I have a stubbed audio). One the new feature in cupcake is the on screen keyboard which was not that in previous release. This is very much required feature for FR as it lacks any keys other than POWER & AUX.

There seems to be other changes in UI layouts as it seems to try fit layouts for VGA screen of FR. Note that android only supports upto HVGA screen. In previous release it was still HVGA displayed on VGA. I have pictures to share the cupcake on FR below including new on-screen keyboard.



Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1/20/2009 7:20 AM, Blogger TreviƱo said...

Nice... Maybe you could post somewhere your binaries and maybe some diffs...

I got the cupcake compiling too, but I had some issue with the libGL... So I've not lost time anymore :P

 
At 1/20/2009 9:25 AM, Blogger Subhash Chandra said...

I am right now little busy with work
I will submit the patches to Koolu in couple of days. I will update in koolu forums when I have done that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home